Proper Diet Plan for St. Bernard Dogs that You Can Easily Follow
Having a St. Bernard pup can be a very fun experience, but it will require some special attention from you. Take note that puppies are small, so you keep them safe and secure as they grow. Part of the care that you are going to do is to provide them with healthy diet. However, food that you provide to your dogs might not be suitable for puppies yet. Therefore, you need to be careful what you give to your St. Bernard puppies. To make it simple for you, here is a diet plan that you can use to keep your St. Bernard dogs healthy.
Diet Plan for 3-6 Months Old
- Provide them with soft food during this stage. You might as well feed them with milk until they reach 6 months old.
- Feeding your pup 3 times a day is also essential for their growth. This should be done when it reaches 8-12 weeks only.
- If you are going to feed your St. Bernard, you have to be mindful of the food. Such would include boiled vegetables, milk, bread, and eggs. However, it shouldn’t be given over 1/3 cup of meal a day.
Diet Plan for 6-12 Months Old
- As it gains maturity after 6 months, you need to feed your dog twice a day only.
- If possible, you need to add protein rich food in its diet, including lean meat, red meat bones, liver, eggs, bananas, and boiled green vegetables.
- Completely remove grain feed from the diet of your dog.
- Chewing bones can be given to your St. Bernard, as they can act as snacks and help them establish wider jaws.
Diet Plan for 1-8 Years Old
- At this stage, your dog has entered the category of adult St. Bernard. Thus, your pet should be fed a couple of times a day.
- A healthy diet should include fruits, eggs, boiled vegetables, and lean meat. The amount of feed should only be ½ cup.
Diet Plan for Senior St. Bernard Dogs (8 Years Old and More)
- At this age, your dog needs just a couple of meals a day.
- Focus on the food that you are going to provide your St. Bernard. Part of this diet include boiled eggs, fruits, veggies, and chicken. Only 1 cup of food will be enough during every meal.
It is important to remember that the size of the meal that you are going to give your pet will depend on the age, size, build, activity level, and metabolism. Just like humans, dogs are also individuals, which don’t require the same amount of food.
To maintain the good health of your St. Bernard, it is important to follow the dietary list presented here. Thus, your dog will become super active as always and fit if you follow the healthy diet for your pet. Feeding your dogs with the right food at the right time, following the right proportion. This will help you achieve the best appetite that your dog will surely desire.
Comments are closed.